The summer is here. The heat is on and the first thing to emerge from the winter wardrobe is those nightmare legs….Even legs that look great in those skinny jeans can look a little less than perfect when revealed in all their glory in the cold light of a new day. So today we are going to talk about hair, veins and cellulite.
There is an interesting statistic going round which says that 94% of women suffer from cellulite and the other 6% are probably fibbing. Cellulite is a big and difficult to handle problem and every ten minutes a new cream appears on the market offering a wondrous instant cure. The bad news is that none of them work, at least not for any significant time. The really bad news is that a whole heap of money is wasted on these useless products. So what exactly is Cellulite?
Fat is usually a subcutaneous substance, i.e. under the skin. However in some people, and yes it is more common in women and increasingly common as you age, it is deposited in the lower structures of the skin itself. This skin has dense fibrous tissue in it which gives the skin its strength. When fat is laid down next to this fibrous tissue it stretches the skin above it but is unable to stretch the fibrous tissue very much. This then leads to the dimpled ‘peu d’orange’ look of cellulite.
The good news is that there are some things on the market that do help at least a bit. Velasmooth/Velashape is a combined radio-frequency and vacuum massage machine which does stretch up these fibrous bands and improve lymphatic drainage reducing the visibility of the cellulite albeit temporarily. A short course of 8 to 10 treatments followed by monthly or alternate monthly maintenance treatments can be very helpful. Thermage is a better longer lasting treatment but it is considerably more expensive. The good news is that the results can be very long lasting indeed. Check them both out.
Hairy legs are often a valid reason for feeling reluctance to wear short skirts. The adverts for depilatory creams and lady shavers show that a lot of ladies put a lot of time and money into removing this problem mechanically. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a way to reduce the total numbers of hairs on a more long term basis and also reduce the thickness of those which remained? Once again the good news is that Intense Pulsed Light or IPL can be very effective. Despite the fact that IPL doesn’t involve a laser it is often know as laser hair removal. It certainly is a cheap and effective method of semi-permanent hair reduction. I say semi-permanent only because it is possible for some of the hairs to regrow but most are effectively dealt with.
Thread veins are a little like varicose veins but usually much smaller. They come in two types the blue and the red and fortunately unlike proper varicose veins they can often be helped without resorting to surgery. Again depending on size and severity IPL can be used to provide significant and very long lasting improvement.
So if you have been a little slow to reveal your legs so far this year because of any combination of the above then help is at hand. Get them sorted in time for summer and get out there and show off your gorgeous new legs.
For further advice and help with these or similar problems please call the girls on 01625 598 000 to find a mutually convenient time for your FREE consultation.
I look forward to meeting you in person.
If you have questions about any of our procedures, or would like to arrange your free consultation, contact us today.
Eternal Youth Clinic
Tel: 01260 226688
We actively encourage people to seek independent medical advice before committing themselves to treatment.
A former Chief Examiner of the British Association of Cosmetic Doctors now the British College of Aesthetic Medicine, Dr Cronin was instrumental in the development of the Diploma in Cosmetic Medicine and a Senior Lecturer in Cosmetic Medicine at Leicester University.